Let me count the ways. Getting fired is easy, just consult with the employee manual and do the opposite, break the rules and that should do it. For a leader, there are many more nuanced ways that will get you into deep yogurt. Examples on what a leader can do to get the ax are very current and serve as leadership lessons. Here are but a few examples of how to get fired if you are a leader:
- Announce that people who hold a certain religious belief will never be hired into the organization or that any ethnic group is full of rapists and criminals.
- In a public forum, make an allusion to a women’s menstrual cycle as a reason for anything.
- Show ambivalence, or imply support to racist or radical groups.
- Inflate your background and pump up your resume with claims that are tough to support.
- Never listen to constituents other than those who are rabid supporters.
- Encourage those same supporters to beat the crap out of those who might disagree with you.
- Make projections and forecasts that everyone knows are impossible to achieve.
- Refer to your colleagues with disparaging names like “Little Marco”.
- On complex subjects seek no outside counsel and make things up on the fly.
- Use private parts as a metaphor for anything or refer to those same parts in any way.
- Turn a deaf ear to those who are trying to help and then criticize them.
The list could be longer but it is a good summary. I am a college president and I know that any of the above would have me looking at the exit door.
Leadership lessons are all around us.
Do you have any to add to the list?